(If the current Passport is expired)
A Sri Lankan citizen by descent or by registration can apply for a Sri Lankan Passport. Ordinary passports are valid for 10 years at the time of the first issue. On the expiry of 10 years from the date of issue, or if there are no pages for visa endorsement, a new passport should be obtained.
- Duly filled Application - (Application for Sri Lankan Passport (Form K 35)
- Four Photographs (Colour, 3.5 cm x 4.5cm, light colour background except for white colour )
- Most recent passport
- Original Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Certificate (If the applicant was born outside Sri Lanka or a citizen by registration)
- Dual Citizenship Certificate and a copy of Foreign Passport (If the applicant is a dual citizenship holder)
- Academic/professional certificates and letter of appointment (If the profession is to be included)
- Marriage certificate (if the applicant is married and wishes to have husband’s surname entered in the passport)
- Photocopy of the Resident Card
- Copy of Sri Lankan National Identity Card (If available)
If the applicant of the passport is a child under 16 years, following documents are additionally required:
- No objection letter from both parents for the issuance of a passport to the child.
- Copies of parent’s current passports (Data page, observation/alteration pages, and child inclusion pages)
- Other appropriate documents (such as decision of the court if parents have divorced, in case separated any official document, death certificate if one or both parents deceased, documentation evidence with regard to the legal guardianship of the minor etc.)
- All original documents should be submitted along with 2 photocopies.
- If the child in Sri Lanka requires a passport and one parent is in Nepal
- If one parent of the child is in Nepal and the other parent is in Sri Lanka, the parent in Nepal should come to the Embassy with his/her passport and copy of the birth certificate of the child and obtain a letter endorsed by the Embassy that the parent in Nepal has no objection to issuance of a passport to the child.
- For Adults Passport valid for all countries – NRs 25,800/
- Passport valid for specified countries - NRs 7,800/-
- Children Passport valid for All countries NRs 14,300/-
- (Below 16 years) Passport valid Specified countries – NRs 4,200/-
Processing time: 08 to 10 weeks
Instructions for Filling the Application
- The application should be filled preferably in BLOCK letters
- Four photographs should be furnished as specified in the application. Please ensure that the signatures are confined to the cages provided immediately below the photographs.
- The photograph should be clear, good quality, fresh (current picture) without spectacles and with open ears.
- The application and original documents should be submitted along with photocopies (Two photocopies of each document).
How to Submit the Application
You can submit the application to the Consular Division of the Embassy by hand. The Consular Division is open from Monday to Friday (9.30 am to 1 pm). Please note that if the return of the documents is desired by mail a stamped self-addressed envelope should be submitted along with the aforementioned documents.
* Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offense. Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
* Incomplete applications will be returned and consular fees will not be refunded