- One of the parties to the marriage should be a Sri Lankan national and should give Notice of Marriage to the Embassy. (Forms are available at the Embassy).
- The marriage may be registered in the Embassy after a lapse of twelve (12) working days from the date of receipt of the Notice of Marriage and within three (03) months from such date.
- The Embassy charges a fee of NRS. 2,800/- for the registration of a marriage.
For each additional copy of Marriage certificate – NRs 1,400/-
- Valid passports of both parties should be produced.
- Two (02) witnesses with photo identification documents should also be present.
Marriage between two Sri Lankans
The originals of the following documents are required for the registration of marriage:
- Bachelor Certificates (Bachelor Certificate should be endorsed by the by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Colombo 01).
- The Notice of Marriage Form should be completed in the presence of a Diplomatic Officer and signed by two (02) witnesses at the Embassy.
- Original birth certificates (in case a copy of the birth certificate is submitted it should be endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Colombo 01).
Marriage between a Sri Lankan and a non-Sri Lankan
The originals of the following documents are required for registration of marriage OR for issuance of a Declaration certifying the civil status of the two parties:
For the Sri Lankan national:
- Original Birth Certificate and the Bachelor Certificate should be obtained by the Sri Lankan national (Procedure is the same as above.)
For the foreign national:
- If the other party is Nepalese, Family Registration and the Bachelor Certificate obtained from the relevant Nepalese authority.
- In case the other party is non-Nepalese a copy of the birth certificate and the Bachelor certificate endorsed by the relevant Embassy in Nepal).
- All original documents of the foreign national must be submitted with a certified English translation.
Declaration certifying the civil status
In the event the marriage is registered under the Nepali law, the Embassy will issue a Declaration certifying the civil status of the two parties. The Embassy charges a fee of NRs. 2,010/- for the issuance of the said Declaration.
* Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence.
Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
* Incomplete applications will be returned and consular fees will not be refunded.