Instructions for Application
- An application for registration of a birth must be made within 03 months of the childbirth. If the application is made after 03 months, the reason for the delay should be given in writing when making the application. The father or mother of the child should be a citizen of Sri Lanka at the time of birth. The father or mother of the child may make the application for registration of birth which should be made in duplicate.
To register the birth of a child born to Sri Lankan Nationals, the following three forms must be submitted.
- Application for Registration of a Birth outside Sri Lanka (Application forms for Registration of Births (Citizenship 1 Form)
- Application for a child less than 03 months of age on the date of application (Declaration of Birth under Section 16) OR
- Application for child aged more than 03 months on the date of application (Declaration of Birth under Section 24)
The above forms should be submitted along with the originals and two copies of the following documents.
- The Birth Certificate issued by the Competent Authority in Nepal along with its certified English translation.
- Passports of father and mother
- Marriage Certificate of the parents
- Birth Certificates of parents. (English translations of the above documents will not be accepted as originals).
- Consular fees for Registration of Birth
Registration of birth – NRs. 2,600/-
Citizenship certificate – NRs. 3,700/-
Surcharge for applications submitted after one year of birth of the child – NRs. 2,600/- per year
For each additional copy of Birth Certificate – NRs 1,400/-
Please note that if the return of the documents is desired by mail a stamped self-addressed envelope should be submitted along with the aforementioned documents.
* Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to citizenship is a punishable offence.
* Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
* Incomplete applications will be returned and consular fees will not be refunded.